Traffic Jam is a real, ‘Brain Buster’ that requires a lot thinking and communication. This challenge is very similar to a human chess game. The group is split in 2, with both sides working together to complete the challenge. Cooperation and planning are essential to complete this task.
- Cones/Floor Markers
- Solution (Copy)
Space Required: Minimal/Low. Delivered either indoors or outdoors.
Group Size: 8-12 participants. No more than 20 (even numbers only)
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 5 minutes to brief and set up
- 40 minutes to achieve outcome
- 10 minutes to review and debrief
- Split participants into two smaller groups (Side A and B).
- Both groups must line up vertically (one behind the other) with A facing B and vice-versa.
- Everyone should have a cone next to them with a free space in the centre separating the two sides.
- The goal of the game is to get side A to side B and Side B to side A, all facing forward.
Rules are as follows.
- No moving backwards
- A person can only move forward to an empty space
- A person can not “jump over” their own team mate
- Only one person may move at a time
- One spot per person, no sharing
- If any of these rules are broken, the group must begin again
Start Order: A B C D – 1 2 3 4
End Order: 1 2 3 4 – A B C D
Traffic Jam Team Building Solution
Traffic Jam solution, challenger brief and activity notes can be found in my new ebook, ‘The Team Building Activity Book’. The book provides an easy to use, step-by-step guide to teaching team building with full descriptions for over 30 team building challenges including: printable challenger briefs, ready to use programmes and access to exclusive member downloads. Buy it now, for just $17/£10 (less than 60 cents an activity!)
- Problem solving
- Failure, resilience and mental toughness