The objective of the activity is to get all team members safely across the lava flow. Participants cannot touch the lava and therefore must use platforms provided to cross to safety.
- Platforms: Either a tyre, milk crate, carpet square or rubber baseball base per person – you can also substitute for 8.5″ x 11″ pieces of paper.
- To mark off the activity area use 2 pieces of rope (or 4 cones)
- Blindfolds (optional)
Space Required: Medium. Indoors or outdoors.
Group Size: 8 to 12 ideally, but can be done with 6 to 14 participants. For larger groups split them into teams and get them to race against each other.
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 5 minute to brief and set up
- 15 minutes to achieve outcome
- 5 minutes to review and debrief
Suggested Learning Outcomes
- Problem Solving
The full description for Lava Flow (also known as River Crossing) can be found in our eBook, The Team Building Activity Book. The eBook provides easy to follow, step by step instructions for leading the activity including full activity notes, challenger brief, activity setup, safety and rules, challenge variations and review questions. The book also features 29 other team activities that guaranteed to inspire and motivate your team, or your money back. Check it out here.