The group stand in an inward facing circle and are asked to throw juggling balls amongst the group in a specific order. As the activity develops more juggling balls are introduced and the pressure to work well as a group increases. This works as a great ice breaker during the forming stage of a team.
Equipment Required: Juggling balls, bean bags (or even a rolled up sock).
Space Required: Small. Delivered either indoors or outdoors.
Group Size: 8 to 14 ideally (however is still works with slightly larger or smaller groups).
Total Time: 20-30 minutes
- 5 minutes to brief and set up
- 10 minutes for challenge
- 5 minutes to review
Group Juggle Ice Breaker Instructions
- Organise the group into a circle, and set up a juggling system that processes juggling balls by throwing them across the circle of team members from one person to the next.
- When a ball is thrown the thrower must shout the name of the recipient
- They catch it and throw to another group member.
- This continues until each group member has caught & thrown the ball just once. (it should have eventually ended back at the start point).
- Ask each group member to identify who they received the ball from and who they threw it to.
- Test this out by throwing the ball in the same original order until it arrives back at the start point.
- The next stage is to introduce more balls and see how many you can get moving round the circle in the original order. As many balls as people is extremely difficult. You can also add another ball to be sent in reverse order to add a bit confusion to the mix.
- Goal setting
- Continuous development
Group Juggle is featured in our eBook, The Team Building Activity Book. The book provides an easy to use, step-by-step guide to teaching team building with full descriptions for over 30 team building challenges and ice breakers including: printable challenger briefs, ready to use programmes and access to exclusive member downloads. Check it out here..