The group are split into smaller teams and must work together to create their own problem solving challenge. Once they have come up with the ideas they must work together to finalise the challenge and then present back to the rest of the group.
Equipment Required: None (or provide equipment for the groups to work with).
Space Required: Small. Indoors or outdoors.
Group Size: 8 to 30. Split the group into smaller teams of 4-5.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 5 minutes to brief and set up
- 45 minutes to plan and finalise concept
- 15 minutes to present idea to rest of the group
- 5 minutes to review
Team Building Activity Challenge Instructions
- Tell the group that the hour was going to be spent doing a problem solving activity, but you don’t want to do one that the participants have already heard of or tried previously. So they have to create their own.
- The objective of the challenge is to have each group of participants come up with a new problem solving challenge activity that they’ve created themselves.
- They have just 45 minutes to complete the challenge.
- At the end of the time each group must come up and present their new problem solving activity to the whole group.
Suggested Learning Outcomes
- Problem Solving
- Task and time management
- Creative thinking
Suggested questions to ask in the review:
- How did you come up with the concept?
- Was there a leader?
- Were you creative in using your resources?
- Did everyone feel that they were involved?
- How well did you communicate as a team? How could you improve?
- Did you delegate responsibility in the team?